Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Jet Lag


Its 8:01 am and I've already been up for hours. I know for many of my friends, especially those who also have kids, this doesn't seem newsworthy. But for me it is.

With regards to our upcoming trip, Jerry has decided to try to move his sleeping schedule as far as he can to minimize the effects of jet lag. He has already moved it almost 3 hours. I have my doubts as to whether this will have a measurable effect, but I know I get excessively tired from crossing time zones, so I am willing to give it a try.

My strategy is usually - sleep as much as possible on the plane then try to resist the magnetic pull of my bed until a reasonable bedtime.

Anyone out there have any better ideas? Do you think trying to change your sleeping schedule before departure will work?

4 comments:

  1. i like the gradual schedule change, but i think you should have gone the opposite direction. just stay up a couple hours later each night, and get up later, until you've gone ALL the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to try the other way but I think it was too far to walk. and besides, I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect Levi to wait for us to get up until 1pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My idea of jet lag is crossing the Nevada/Utah border, and having to adjust from Pacific to Mountain Standard.

    Lee ought to be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used this on our way to Italy and I think it helped a lot. http://www.naturemade.com/sleep/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

    ReplyDelete