Sunday, June 14, 2009

Zurich Update


Jerry and I arrived in Zurich yesterday after a 10 hour non-stop flight from LAX. The city is a 10 minute train ride from the airport. We checked in to the hotel and called our friends Jeffrey and Karen who have lived in Lausanne since last fall. We walked down the riverfront and around by the lake. The weather has been very nice. People were out lounging in swimwear and soaking up the sun. We bought some bratwurst and fries from a street vendor and ate on a bench.
Side note: it has been interesting ordering food here. I try my best in German and the waiter or person at the counter will usually speak back in a mix of German and English (depending on how long it takes me to process and respond to the deutsch). Its kind of nice because I have been able to add words to my vocab that way. Most notably I've noticed a distinct lack of that "look" that you can often get from people with a bad attitude towards tourists when you're trying to speak their language, which is nice.
Anyway, after we ate, we met up with some other former santa barbarians who now live near Basel and had some dessert.
We got in bed extremely tired, but of course because of the time change - both woke up around 3:30. I was able to fall back asleep, but not Jerry. Any bets on whether or not he falls asleep during the opening session tonight?
Today we visited Lucerne which is very picturesque. Which is an adjective that fits everything we've seen so far. You know- buildings with shuttered windows with flower boxes lining a river. One thing we didn't expect to see was a group of maybe 200 plus people in full wetsuits, scuba masks and various pool toys jumping into the river and floating away. I have no idea what this was about. We wandered around the walled part of the city and listened to the clock chime at noon from within the bell tower.

Now I'm back at the hotel and Jerry and Jeffrey went to the opening session. After walking all day, I am pretty tired right now, probably even more than yesterday. I'm blogging to try to stay awake until a reasonable bedtime. So- sorry about any typos or incomplete thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. mmm...Switzerland. One of my most favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome pics!! sounds like you are having a blast! i'll be anxiously waiting for more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian - I didn't know you guys were in Zurich! We live in St. Gallen - about an hour and a half from Zurich, and Ammon works just outside Zurich. How long are you here for?
    - Diana Fife, (Diana Brown)

    ReplyDelete