Monday, August 29, 2011

A casualty of the hurricane

I'll be honest with you, at first I thought this hurricane was wimpy. The news coverage was overdone, people were panicked, and the hurricane was never going to be able to live up to the hype. We watched it rain a lot on Sunday and at times it would get a little windy, but that was it. I might have even said at one point, "Is this all you got?"

When I got to work this morning you can imagine my surprise when people were talking about how Vermont got pounded and all the roads were closed. But yes, somehow we were fine here and 3 miles away there was widespread flooding. For the most part people are ok, but on the VT/NH border the Connecticut river flooded a bunch of big retail stores. And many, many covered bridges were destroyed. Including my favorite one so far in Quechee (pronounced kwee-chee).

Here it is before the storm (doesn't it seem so high up)?

It is right next to a little dam, and a fancy restaurant/glass-blowing place. (and yes, I think Levi kinda wanted to jump in)

We went there for the balloon festival.

And now a storm made it look like this.





























Here is a video of the craziness. I'm amazed that water filled the whole waterfall/dam, and flooded the restaurant, and wiped away that walkway we were standing on. I'm sure things will get rebuilt but right now it just looks like a battle zone. Was it because I mocked you, Irene?

5 comments:

  1. That is SO sad! There is so much power in that water! I'm glad the bridge is basically still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how strange it is for you to be the one blogging about a hurricane in your area. Ya know, cuz we live on the Gulf Coast and have been on various coasts of Florida for 3 years and have yet to see a hurricane. What next? An earthquake on the east coast?
    But I am glad to hear y'all are OK. And sad for your bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that looked like a very cool place. I like the 'water may rise without warning' sign in the picture. Should this post be called, "Come on, Irene!" ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow. I just saw this bridge on the news then I read your blog. Stay dry my friends. Stay dry.

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I saw your area on the news and was wondering how you fared.

    You know, the name of the next hurricane will begin with a "J..." I would file my request early that it will be a Hurricane Jerry we are all careful not to mock.

    ReplyDelete