Thursday, September 3, 2009

Los Alamos Stats


Jerry has accepted the offer from Los Alamos National Labs. So I thought I'd share some things you may not know about the town of Los Alamos.
-Location: Northern New Mexico
-Distance from Santa Barbara: 985 miles
-Distance from Dan and Amanda Allen (former next door neighbors): 92 miles
-Elevation: 7,300 ft
-Population: 12,000 (apparently 190,000 people live within a forty mile radius, ok?)
-Average high in summer: 80 (F) Yes, you read that right.
-Annual Snow Fall: 46 in (No, I don't currently own a "coat" or anything close to it)
-Closest ski resort: 10 miles away
-It was originally founded as an assembly facility for the first atomic weapons. The location was selected specifically for its "remoteness".
-Not to be confused with: The Alamo

11 comments:

  1. - 7300 ft is a lot of feet.
    - sounds like a good place to be with global warming.
    - they make these things with a scraper on one side and a brush for the snow on the other...people buy them and leave them in their cars.
    - I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you know I plan on visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification on the Los Alamos/The Alamo thing. Because I was going to tell you to be on the lookout for Peewee's bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Everything I know about Los Alamos I learned from Judy Blume's Tiger Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like how "coat" is in quotes, like a silly foreign object. start shoveling, v! o, and tim says there is great rivers and fishing there, so pick a house with an extra guest room, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done some math, and it seems like 7300 feet is about 7300 ft higher than you live currently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was voting for New Mexico all along. And not just because of the Asian Tiger Mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie- I think 7300 feet is a little more than 7300 feet above where you are at.

    Don't you have to walk uphill to get to the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  10. jerry- that's an excellent point. I've thought about that when they say there might be heavy flooding here. I suspect heavy flooding is not going to be a major problem for you guys.
    I have started to lean on Chris to get a job with the CDC in Santa Fe. So far it's not going well, but I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's exciting! I'm glad you're not going too far away!

    ReplyDelete