Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

One thing I know for sure is that I have a cool Mom. But when I say cool, I don't mean that superficial kind of cool that comes from too much makeup, trendy clothes, and fancy cars. I mean that my Mom is that kind of person that everybody respects and likes... literally everybody.

I think I really started to understand this when my Mom was a chaperone for our school's 6th grade field trip to Sonora, CA. I don't really know what it was that motivated her to volunteer for the terrible task of babysitting a bunch of prepubescent kids for an entire week, but she did. She slept in the girls cabin with 60 or so screaming girls (for an entire week, did I mention that?), and helped us pan for gold, visit museums, tour caves, count tree rings, etc. This was truly an amazing commitment from an amazing Mom. But the thing I remember most about this field trip was that girls would come up to me and explain over and over again how much they liked my Mom. They would say "she is the coolest chaperone" or "you are so lucky" and this happened at least 10 different times over the course of a week. I realized that I agreed with them, and I've never had any reason to wish I could have somebody else's mom. She's just that cool. Happy Birthday Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment