Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Brushfire Fairytales

I was driving home from the lab kinda late last night and couldn't help but notice the hills looked a little different. I was pretty tired, but even I noticed this not so subtle difference on our horizon (check out the pics). Anybody else see this last night? The pics don't really do it justice. To me it looked like a volcano had just erupted, or maybe the world had ended. Something like that.

I realized I'm not used to being able to see the fire. Usually they are pretty far away or on the other side of the mountains so all you can see is the smoke (which frankly is not that different than our normal, smoggy atmosphere).

Update: I added a couple of pictures from today too. The smoke has slowly taken over the entire east half of the sky.

3 comments:

  1. "To me it looked like a volcano had just erupted, or maybe the world had ended."

    That's what I was thinking, too, especially when we were driving around yesterday and saw that all the power was out, so stores that would normally be open were dark, and the sky was blanketed by a thick orange haze. It felt like we were living in one of those natural disaster or alien invasion movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the one and only thing I don't miss about Santa Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time I was ever that close to a fire was when I was in high school. I had decided I'd gone long enough that day and as I was leaving, I noticed the smoke. Turns out, everyone else got to leave early too. If I had just waited, I wouldn't have been marked truant.

    ReplyDelete