Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Levi turned 5

Cake Adventures year 3: After the efforts I put in to make fire truck jello cake and shaun the sheep cupcakes, it was with some trepidation that I asked Levi what shape of cake he wanted for his birthday.  I was very worried he would choose Megalosaurus, and then hassle me over the details.  I was so relieved when he held up his hands to demonstrate and said "circle".  I gave him a high five and promised to deliver.  
I was up late the night before his party, thinking about how I could make a round cake with no round cake pan and decided to make a rectangle cake, then cut it.  Well... you see, I thought I had come up with a good egg substitution that would hold the cake together (cream cheese) but such was not the case.  That cake turned into a rubble of vanilla flavored crumbs immediately upon exiting the pan.  No rectangle, and no circle.  Improvising, I began to moosh all the cake bits together into a dense circle-ish form.  After that was accomplished, I added frosting and sprinkles and we had ourselves a cake!  Maybe next year we should just go for cookies.

The celebrations included 3 days of saying "this is for your birthday!" about every activity. See below:




6 comments:

  1. Stellan has spent several birthdays convinced that the only answer to "What kind of birthday cake do you want?" is a geometric shape. So far he's chosen a triangle, a square and a diamond. So basically the same sheet cake rearranged differently. At every other kids' birthday party I take him to, I cringe and think, "Maybe this time he'll figure out he could ask for something trendy, tacky and/or difficult to construct at home..." So far, so good. Until typing this, which has surely jinxed me.
    Happy birthday, Levi! Looks like you had a good time. A really good time. You know, your parents went to California just for your birthday. Remember that next year when you have a birthday again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Vivian, I guess you are saving this cake experience for your next talk (yes, I still remember the cream puff story!). Love the pictures. That trampoline place looked awesome and the air the kids were getting in the swimming pool was seriously impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a genius, just smoosh the cake into a circle. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking the picture of Theo double-strawing the milkshake. Also, can you send me the one of Theo flying above the pool, and the two boys asleep in the back seat?

    All of these pictures make me really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss everyone and want them to come back

    ReplyDelete