Thursday, February 2, 2012

January Project Wrap Up

 It seems like after Christmas I always find myself with a void of projects, events, and general busyness.  Put that together with the cold weather and January can be a pretty slow month.  Having remembered this from years past, I decided to pick up some new projects and try to learn a few things.  Here they are:


#1- Wrap skirt: Inspiration- picture below that I saw on Pinterest.

 How I did it: Found a remnant at the fabric store for $1.30 and used every inch to make this cute thing that she will fit for a long time.
 #2- Master Yoda
How I did it: Foam and elastic from craft store, $2.25 for tan sheet and $0.75 for brown pillow case from thrift store. Oh and don't forget the connected marker saber.
 #3 Apron Dress: Inspiration-This unbelievably adorable dress that Carrie bought for Gwen.
 How I did it: Leftover fabric from my table (humming the sound of music in my head), liner from a skirt I don't wear, front of a shirt I don't wear.
#4 Table redo: Inspiration- I had/have an ugly table and asked Dad and Kathy for some ideas.  They gave me the idea to cover it with fabric. And I found this one online.

How I did it: Fabric on sale from store $5, shower curtain $5, borrowed an electric screwdriver and staple gun from a friend and went to work.  Still have to do something with the bottom part of the table and the chairs (dumpster find).  You may be able to see in this picture that one of the chairs and one of the table legs are sanded. 
 #5 Pinwheel painting: Inspiration- I'm not sure where I first saw this, but I liked it a lot and knew I could do it.
How I did it: My biggest budget project so far as $25 for a large piece of stretched canvas and $9 of paint.  I drew out the lines lightly with a pencil then filled them in, going in and out of the lines. It is finished, although I like this picture of me working on it.  I still need to cover it with something like polyurethane or some other finisher to protect it from jedi fights.
#6 homemade pizza.  Some people do it well, I do not.
How I'm doing it: this one is a work in progress.  I've tried 5 times with 3 different recipes and 3 different pan preparation strategies I've gone from one end of the soggy spectrum to crispy cracker pizza on the other.  I think I've got a few more miles to go on my pizza quest.
#7 Another ongoing project is this high chair.  I found it for $10 and it took some serious work to get it to this stage. I removed lot of old crusty lace and also recovered the tray the same way I did the table top.  I think I need spring to come so I can take it outside and give it some new paint.
 So there you have it, the january wrap-up.  Next up: Finishing the table, decorating the toy room, more pizza, more costumes.  Hopefully I won't have to wait until next January to do some more projects.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. I feel like a loser. My January projects included vacuum (I might have, once; not sure), sleep more (still feeling behind on this one) and copy over 2011 calendar birthdays/anniversaries/etc. to 2012 calendar (not even started yet; sorry I missed your birthday, Grandma).
    Yoda looks awesome. He should come and play with Darth Stellan sometime. Maybe he can convert him to the light side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, its doesn't count, you live in a place where people go outside. Also, you probably already know how to make pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian, you are so crafty! With the exception of your pizza (which I'm going to have to taste before I pass judgement) I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, crazy crafty! That is awesome! It all looks fantastic (even the pizza, which I'm sure wasn't that bad) so nice work. I'm with Krissie, I got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice work! i especially like the wrap skirt. i think you're right that it will hold up for years.
    i also like how easily gwen has moved into the "model" position required by all thomas children. has levi given her any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow viv, i'm impressed!!! what awesome projects you've done all in the month of jan?? i can't say i've done much other than get bigger and bigger! i love everything you've done especially the cute dresses!! girl clothes are so fun and you did a great job! i do have a pizza dough recipe i LOVE! it works every time! this is one of my college roomies and is an awesome cook! here's the link: http://fashionablyfoodie.blogspot.com/2008/08/ultimate-homemade-fabulous-pizza-dough.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, thank Rochelle. She lists 20 pointers! Woo, I'm going to need all of them.
    Claire- yes, gwen has definitely taken over as most likely to smile and hold still for a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vivian, I'm so proud of you, thinking ahead and planning for the after Christmas let-downs and the homebound days of January. Excellent projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Impressive! How come I didn't know you were so crafty?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been super busy. go momma go! I am inspired. I love your pin wheel, love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey @ro - thanks for the pizza tips! that is a great recipe. viv and i have discussed pizza at length and i really like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thoughts:
    -I like that Levi even has the 'Yoda fingers' down.
    -That dress you made for Gwen is way cute. I like that she matches her high chair.
    -It makes me happy when I get a shout out on your blog.
    -Really, I had no idea you had these kind of skills. But I'm not surprised, either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Smokes!! You are amazing and an inspiration. Some day... Oh and cute cute baby models!

    ReplyDelete